Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Rabbit Condo

My husband and I have agreed that a "dog kennel" with the caged rabbits inside is the best way to make sure predators do not eat our fur balls.  We did some research and pre-designed cages were to expensive.  So I checked Craigs list and found quite a few of them but they were all too far away.
What we want is a 6' wide by 10-12' long caged in area.  We have some lumber so my husband decided to build his own.  He now has the chain link and the other supplies, he just needs to find the time to build it. 
What we will have is a 6' high caged area that will have chain link on all sides including the top.  We are still trying to decide how to protect the area from being dug into from the bottom.  He has some ideas and I am sure I will get the picture as it comes along.
He will build me a door and after it is complete, he will put a roof on the entire caged in area and actually make it a little bigger.  He is hoping to use the extra sheltered in area to dry wood for our burner.  So the whole project area might get to be pretty big.  But for now, the Bunny Condo is our main concern.
We will hang the cages from the top of the structure and allow the droppings to feed the ground below.  At some point we might make it a worm bed or prepare for mulch but for now, it will just be easy clean up.  Rabbit pellets are great for gardens.  Not my specialty and if you are interested in more info, the internet is loaded with all you need to know.
Once we have the projects started I will take photos so you can see the progress.  
Since the rabbits are settling in so well, I decided that Beauty and Buck are ready to be parents.  They are both a year old and well past the 4-5 month recommended waiting time.  Come back to see how that goes.
Thanks for visiting.  Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment