Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Buck and Beauty

Yesterday I cleaned the tarps under our rabbits and they seemed to be settling in pretty good.  I felt the timing was right to introduce Beauty to Buck.
I was a little worried that Beauty would be difficult to get from her cage but it went well and not a scratch on either of us.  Good thing because their nails are pretty long.
She ran around the cage a good 10 times until she settled down.  I observed about 4 times his successful mount and 'falling' off which means she was in the right position.  This was about 6 pm.  It is recommended to allow the rabbits two sessions so I got up at 6 am this morning and put her in his cage again.
Yesterday she was quiet, today she made noise the entire time.  She allowed him to be successful one more time and then her chatter changed so I removed her.  I sure did not want to break up a fight.
I will check her in about two weeks to see if I can palpate the kits.  Then the nest box goes in about the 28th day.  Beauty should give birth (kindle) about 28-34 days.  I will check the box for the first couple of days to make sure all is doing well. 
I am excited to see what kind of markings we will get from Buck and Beauty.
Remember Buck is all white with pink eyes.  All the rabbits are a very large, healthy size.
Beauty is all black with silver tipped fur. 

I do not want to be away from home the first time our rabbits kindle so I will wait to breed one of the other does for a little while.  I will be gone on a scrapbooking retreat and will set the timing so I am back before the next kindle starts.  Its pretty nice that I can 'schedule' when we want kits, or should I say when we dont.  No guarentee we will have some but as long as the buck is not in with the does, we can say we wont have kits:)  
Come back in a few days to see how things are going.  I appreciate your stopping by and will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment