Thursday, June 9, 2016

Let the KINDLING begin!

On Monday June 13th Beauty will have her next litter of bunnies (kits).  She is an excellent mother and I expect she will do just fine. She pulls fur, builds a warm nest and nurses just fine.

On Tuesday June 21, Missy will have her next litter.  This is her third.  Her first litter was born 2 days early and none of the 5 survived.  Her second litter she had 7.  One was dead at birth.  She seemed to be getting the hang of nursing but the second night it was colder than I expected and the nest was not warm enough.  Cold came up from the bottom of the nest box and the kits froze.  This is all very sad but we (Missy and I) learned from these experiences and will do better this time.  She is no longer jumpy and nervous.  I will go with my instincts to "assist" if I feel I need to.  This time the nest boxes will have cardboard and if it is really warm I will remove the cardboard on day 4 when the kits should have plenty of fur for June weather.

I am excited that many of my rabbits are going to excellent homes.  I hope to share some stories and pictures as I receive them.  For now, that is all.  Come back after the 13th and see what is hopining at WWR!  Dont forget to comment to let me know you where here!  Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment