Sunday, May 15, 2016

Excitement at Wascally Wabbits Rabbitry!

I can imagine how exciting it could be to know WHEN YOUR BIRTHDAY WILL BE before IT COMES!  I know when my bunnies will be born (usually 1 days from conception) and can be here to ..... prepare the nest box with clean hay, make sure there is plenty of food and water and general cleaning the day  before..... watch for signs of mother-hood with the doe.... and just plain be EXCITED.
Missy is due tomorrow.  Today I went out to do the "day before cleaning" and I could actually see her belly move.  I think she will have a lot more than five this time.  Last time I could not tell.  I think she is much bigger this time.  I hope this time they are healthy and  since this is her SECOND time around, she will know what to do and not be so nervous.  She should leave that up to the TOP BUNNY, ME! (to be nervous for her) heehee
She is pulling her fur as I type this.  Good, very good sign.  My husband and I were wondering "how does a bunny, or any animal for that matter, know to prepare for their babies?"  He said God puts it in them.  I agree but how is it manifested in the bunnys life that it knows??  Does her fur itch, does she start to get "practice contractions?  Fun to think about these things.  After all we know they did not read it in a book!  That special "touch" or relationship that we call instinct came from somewhere.  It came from the HAND OF GOD.  I am just so excited to be part of it and watch it as it happens.
Back to Missy.  Since this is her second litter, I hope all goes well.  Beauty has 5 babies in the cage next to her that are 5 1/2 weeks old... maybe she has learned a thing or two from Beauty?  Buck is on her other side and she was acting like she was bothered by him coming to the side of his cage that is closest to her, so I put a rug over the edge, to give her privacy.  Now... to wait.
I will be back with the next post as soon as they are born to update you.  I will just add it to this post because I will not take pictures until they are 24 hours old or more so I dont upset Missy.
Thanks for hopping by and now.... to my craft blog to update everyone on the shower from this weekend and the status of my winnings in the hat contest.  Visit that site here: inkyfingers1.blogspot.com
See you again real soon!  Theresa

Update: Sad news.  Missy was doing so well but her nest was not insulated well enough and the second night got too cold.  The next morning all of her kits were frozen.  I had a hard time with this loss and could not even write about it until now.  She was feeding and seemed to be ready to be a mom.  Second day I went to do chores and she jumped right in the nest box as if to say, "Hey look I am a good mom. Can you find my babies for me, I want to nurse." She had even pulled more fur.  But it was not anything I could change.  So sadly I took the box away.
Update: A week and half has gone by and Missy is recovering well.  She has had a big personality change.  She use to be very shy and "talked" everytime I tried to approach her or did anything in her cage.  NOW she greets me at the door, gets in the submissive position and even butts me with her head to be pet.  She is now a mature adult rabbit and I feel she will be an excellent mother next time around.  She is expected to have her next litter in June right after we come back from a wedding.  I look forward to her being a good mom, just like Beauty, Foxy and Thumper.  Watch for updates on Missy and Beauty as things progress.  Thanks for hoppin by and see you next time!  Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment