Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Learned our first hard lesson..... sad and scared.

All of our does had all their babies in their nest boxes.  The first two I put a cardboard trim up around the edges so they could not crawl out of the cage.
The gap for the sides is 1"wide x2" long.  It is nice for being able to stick the fresh grass I give them into the cage without opening the door.  See once I open the door they want me to pet them.  Buck and Beauty are the hardest to get to move away from the door so I can close it.  They just love to be pet.
Anyway so the gap is large enough for new babies to fit through.  It got busy when Thumper had her babies and since she had them all in the nest box, (watched her closely), I did not think I needed the cardboard up.
Well last night we were expecting storms and would have had to close the windows on the house to keep it dry inside.  Well it was way too hot to close it up so we moved them back into the garage (after moving the last of the furniture from my daughters place).  This was hard for me to do since 3 of the four have babies and it really upset the whole bunch.
Ok, so back to the cardboard.  This morning when I went to feel and check, all seemed fine.  I might have been too early in the am, because the mommy bunnies seemed to be wanting to feed, going into the boxes but coming right back out.
Then all of a sudden I heard a bunch of screaming coming from a baby.  I looked down and here a little one was on the ground, dirty and a little cold.  I comforted it a bit and showed it to mom bun and placed back in box.  It squeaked like it was in pain a few times while I was installing the cardboard (to avoid future buns from dropping).  I will check on it later to see how it is doing.  We might have our first loss and if we do, it is because I did not have cardboard on my cage.  Sad but a lesson learned.
Today I will also be weighing all of the babies.  I would like an average weight on each stage eventually as they get older, I will need a weight at time of weaning and sale.
Sorry this post is a little sad so no pictures.  Hope to come back with good news after I check on the box with the dropped bun.  Theresa

2 comments:

  1. Oh Oma! I am sorry : ( I think you are doing an amazing job with all of this! There is much MUCH!! to learn and you have met each challenge with total victory. Please don't let this one "mistake" rob your joy. Bob tried to raise rabbits many years ago and he had so many difficulties as he tried to work it all out! You are doing 200% better than he did starting out.

    Hang in there friend!!

    BIG BUNNY(((((HUGS)))))

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, no loss. What kind of Rabbits did Bob Raise? Any challenges I should be aware of that I have not mentioned so far? I never can learn enough, so any advice is totally appreciated! Love you guys

    ReplyDelete